Here are five reasons we recommend having your HVAC system tuned-up every year!
1. A head start and a leg up!
More than likely it has been a few months since you last ran your air conditioner at any length of time! To put this in perspective, if your were about to drive your car cross country. If your car has been sitting in the garage, except for the occasional Sunday drive, you’d be mad not to take it in for a tune-up, oil change, and tire rotation! You’d want to know with the utmost certainty, your car was ready to go!
AC maintenance is much the same way! Oklahoma has an extended hot season which means we run our AC longer than most other places! Give your system a leg up bt making sure it is ready. Without the tune-up, you run the risk of increasing breakdown likelihood.
2. Regular maintenance is cheaper than a repair job!
Maintenance doesn’t guarantee your system won't break down, just the same as Just as NOT having it maintained doesn't mean it will break down. Tune-ups can't stop all AC problems, yet in our experience we have found that nearly half of all AC problems could have been prevented by annual maintenance
During a tune-up, a tech can find a small problem and fix them while they are small, instead of having to react to them when they are catastrophic.
3. Neglecting regular maintenance can VOID your warranty
Most new air conditioners come with a manufacturer warranty, but did you know that most of the time, that warranty is only valid if you keep your system regularly maintained?!?
Warranty certificates from Lennox, Trane, Comfortmaker, American Standard and several others make this clear. Which means unless your AC System is regularly maintained by an HVAC professional, the manufacturer will not stand behind the warranty.
4. A maintained system lasts longer!
Regular maintenance leads to fewer repairs and can prolong your air conditioner’s lifespan. The reverse is also true. Neglecting proper AC maintenance can reduce its lifespan.
Let’s think about your car again. What if you never get an oil change, never buy new tires, and neglect all the recommended maintenance. Do you think your car will last as long as someone else’s who maintained their car properly?
Keeping your air conditioner maintained will help make it last as long as possible. It will also run at higher efficiency throughout its lifespan, keeping your home cool and your family comfortable.
5. Increased efficiency, and decreased cooling costs!
Every year that you skip maintenance on your system, it loses 5% of its capacity!
Here are some reasons for this!
- Over time dust and debris collects on the coils. The evaporator coils, being indoors, attract mostly dust. But the outdoor condenser coils can become full of dirt, grass trimmings and even leaves. This build-up impedes airflow and blocks heat transfer. Meaning that your air conditioner won’t be able to cool your home as efficiently.
- Your condensate drain needs to be checked for clogs. A clog can hinder your system’s ability to control humidity. In extreme cases, a clogged condensate drain could even cause water damage to your home.
- Motor parts need lubrication. Lack of lubrication can cause friction which reduces operating efficiency.
Blower components need periodic cleaning and adjustment. Otherwise, they can cause airflow problems which can result in up to a 15% decrease in efficiency